Want to replicate Dorothy Draper’s classic aesthetic? Here are a few tips from her classic interior design book Decorating is Fun!
1. Black & White Marble Floor – 18″ Squares, on the diagonal.
2. White-painted Dado & Chair Rail (use the “snowiest” white you can find).
3. Paint the ceilings a ‘Thomas Jefferson’ pale aqua blue.
4. Striped Wallpaper – 3″ or 5″ thick (she believed stripes were decorating’s common denominator).
5. Happy, Full-blown flowery chintz for draperies or upholstery (stripes and a flowery chintz were a romantic combination).
6. A touch of black – lampshades, coffee table, or a simple black lacquered box.
7. Braided trim on chairs, sofas, and curtains. She LOVED fringe. Big braided tie backs are a must.
The book was originally published in 1939 and is still available to purchase today.
The Dorothy Draper Paint Collection Curated by Benjamin Moore