Dressing like a New Yorker doesn’t just mean wearing all black, though there is a certain practicality an all black outfit affords, but it’s more about individuality. Every neighborhood and career type has its own style, but New Yorkers are always practical and it is the simplicity of their style that helps them always look so effortlessly chic. Here are our five tips on how dressing like a New York City gal.
- Monochrome whether it’s black, cream, camel or red is always chic.
- Dress up, even if it’s just a touch. A skirt like our Diana paired with a simple tee and flats works for brunch, errands and topped with a jacket the office.
- You never have to sacrifice style for practicality. New Yorkers walk everywhere. They go from work to drinks to dinner and rarely make it home to change clothing, so they are always prepared for weather and not being able to catch an Uber. Our Brigitte tunic dress is made from a stretch Italian virgin wool AND lined in a stretch silk charmeuse. It’s equally elevated and comfortable.
- Pick one statement piece. Whether it’s your bag, shoes, jewelry, coat or skirt. Choose one bold piece to pair with neutral basics like our Lawson — it’s a blank canvas begging for an outrageous shoe or fabulous vintage necklace.
- The most important thing is that whatever you wear it needs to fit your personal style. You can’t help but be confident when you are wearing things that flatter your shape and suit your individual tastes, not what magazines or bloggers dictate what is in style.
The thing that people around the world consistently admire about the women of New York style isn’t that they are always on or ahead of trends, but the range of styles worn with confidence and ease.