I’m Southern and Southern women love a theme, especially when it comes to parties. So here’s a red, white and blue menu for when friends come over and you are feeling festive this Fourth of July. As always at Senza Tempo, the recipes are quick and simple. We know you are busy.
Strawberry Balsamic Bites
- 1 cup fresh strawberries (about 8 medium berries)
- ¼ cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp aged balsamic vinegar
- Cut the caps off the strawberries so they can sit upright on a platter
- Slice the strawberries and stuff each with Parmesan cheese
- Drizzle aged balsamic vinegar over the top
White Cheddar Pimento Cheese
This is one of my go to favorites. You can make this as spicy as you like. You can also mix up the flavor depending on which olives you get. I love the olive bar at Whole Foods and rotate between the different flavors. Sometimes I go for a Mediterranean vibe, sometimes its more spicy.
- 2 cups shredded white Vermont Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup Dukes mayo
- 2 Tbsp drained and chopped pimentos
- 1-2 Tbsp chopped Spanish olives (I like to get the spicy ones from the bar at Whole Foods)
- 1/4 tsp lemon juice
Mix and serve with crackers, fresh bread, toast points, crostini or if you really want to play off the red white and blue them, cherry tomatoes, red peppers, and blue corn tortilla chips.
Blueberry Basil Moscow Mule
There is everything to love about this drink. Are Moscow Mule’s still having a moment? I don’t know, but in Charleston it’s extra hot so we need something extra refreshing. I love drinks with herbs and basil is one of the easiest things to grow. Plus blueberries for antioxidants so you feel like you are being healthy.
- handful fresh blueberries about 10 plus garnish
- 5 large basil leaves plus garnish
- 2 measures vodka 50ml | 1.7 fl oz
- juice of 1 lime
- 1-2 tsp sugar syrup – optional
- chilled spicy ginger beer to top up
Put the blueberries, basil and lime juice in a tall glass and muddle with the end of a clean rolling pin or a muddling spoon.
Add the vodka and sugar syrup if using and give it a good stir.
Add plenty of fresh ice and top with ginger beer. Stir again.
Serve with blueberries and basil leaves threaded onto a cocktail stick.